Tuesday 13 September 2011

Lacking OR A Constant State of Excitement OR This Was the Best Summer of My Life OR Why I Can’t Sleep at Night


I confess to you, I’ve been lacking blog inspiration.
It’s easy enough to sit down and type out the things I’ve done over the past few days, such as taking a train to the seaside, hating bio online, visiting a torture museum, and having my uncle come and visit (that was actually a blast, love you Uncle Stevie!), and eating mussels for the first time (they are slimy and weird) but in terms of the creative style I’m going for, that’s just not gonna cut it. Part of my dissatisfaction with my writing comes from blog envy. I’ve been laughing at 1000 Awesome Things, and Stuff White People Like and even becoming jealous of essays written about the prairies in my English textbook. I mean, I know I’m no Margaret Laurence, but I would like to come close to or even have the inspiration to compare the light in the sky to “the scrawled signature of God”.
Anyways…
At this point I can only really give you a factual recount of what we’ve been up to. I’m really excited for South Africa, because I feel like I’ll have some more depth in those entries as the culture shock will be even greater.
That is not to say that there aren’t things about European culture that are shocking… The most recent shock to my system was noticing their affection for one another… if that’s the right word. A couple on the beach on Saturday resembled frogs trying to make tadpoles, and unnecessary PDA is all over the place. Gross.
They also make you pay to use a public washroom here. Not cool. “FREE TO PEE, people!” That’s what I say!
I currently hate online school. Actually, I’m mostly just hating bio. English is great, I could read and write all day whether a teacher told me to or not! But bio is no fun… I’m not really compelled by the food chain or natural selection. My teachers are great though, my bio teacher uses LOL a lot when she e-mails me which is pretty cute and funny. The thing I struggle with the most about online school is the fact that the internet is at my disposal to use freely while I should probably be working. You try concentrating while knowing that a video of a baby monkey riding backwards on a pig is one quick YouTube search away!!! As is season 7 of Gilmore Girls! And Bonnie Raitt music videos! There is just a lot going on in the ol’ World Wide Web, and my poor, easily distracted brain just can’t handle it! Ha!
Needless to say, I’m excited to be done this week of working on school and beyond excited for Paris next week! There’s so much about that city that excites me! The city of love, memories of watching Madeline as a child, the fact that the lyrics to ‘Our Last Summer’ by ABBA will apply while I’m there, getting to use my second language, the shopping, the architecture! So exciting!
After a week in Paris, I’m going to have two days to buckle down and do some serious schooling before a Mediterranean Cruise with my Grandma Di. If you know us, you know that this will be a non-stop riot. If you don’t know us, here’s all you need to know: We’re blonde, we’re fun, we’re pretty and we’re single. ;) We are also hopeless with directions so pray to every god you know that the boat won’t leave without us while we’re exploring in a foreign country. There will be some mighty fine stories to be told I’m sure, and I’m considering keeping a video diary for your viewing pleasure so get excited for that! I can’t even begin to explain how awesome it will be, but I’m very very very excited!
I’m finding myself in a constant state of excitement. Almost a month of this trip has passed and I’ve done so much, but there’s still so much left to do! There are so many more things to see, and do, and learn, and write and draw, and capture on film, and that excites me beyond words. This is a wild adventure and I need to take the time to realize how fortunate I am to get to see and fall in love with all of these parts of the world!  
It’s weird to think that a quarter of the trip is almost over. Fall had reached Belgium and leaves are falling which is such a pretty sight to see. Autumn has always been my favourite season; I love back to school, and jumping in leaves, and getting to wear sweaters and boots. But this summer has given fall a run for its money:
I got to spend a full month at Camp Harmattan and learn and laugh with kids. I loved my co-workers like best friends. I got a new bike that I named Wilson. I tie-dyed with my best friend. I had a surprise going away party. I travelled to Kentucky for NYC, made new friends, loved old ones, and learned about myself. I learned how to drink black coffee. I stayed up a full 28 hours with three of my favourite people. I played ukulele. I didn’t wear shoes. I helped baptize a child. I said goodbye to friends. I slapped someone in the face with a piece of ham. I went on rides at Calaway Park solely so my junior high campers wouldn’t think I was lame. I went on Ocean Motion 6 times. I was slapped in the face with a piece of ham. I watched Mary-Kate and Ashley movies. I watched Lord of the Rings movies. I became closer to people who used to just be classmates. I did cartwheels. I rode bikes. I rafted down rivers. I said horrible things. I drove in and out of Olds multiple times. I shopped. I painted the toenails of 10 little girls while listening to Taylor Swift. I ate ice-cream. I attended the birthday parties of a 75-year-old and a 3-year-old. I saw one of my favourite bands in concert. I was proud to have my brother and sister as campers for a week. I wore dresses. I made “Camp Appropriate” music playlists. I went on coffee dates. I got new scars. I got a flip-flop tan. I camped. I enjoyed twinkly lights in my back yard. I journaled. I played grounders. I played baseball. I played foursquare. I played wall ball. I hot tubbed. I had sleepovers. I watched Criminal Minds. I learned how to clean a grill. I wore a crab hat. I woke up before staff devotions to do yoga. I made a mug. I used a head-lamp to the very best of its ability. I read post-secret.  I learned to be patient. I went on a picnic. I wrote people notes. I taught myself how to draw. I took pictures. I posed for pictures. I was inspired by junior high girls. I attended camp fires. I hung out in Kensington. I ate Tubby Dogs.  I listened to Foster the People. I saw Harry Potter 7 on opening night. I got bangs. I ate DinoSours. I slept in tents. I mailed post cards. I attended barbeques. I roasted marshmallows. I saw shooting stars. I received mix CDs. I loved. I loved. I loved. And… I travelled to New York, Ghent, London, Manchester, Liverpool, Buxton and Oostende. I had the best summer of my life.
When I’m trying to sleep all of these writing ideas, exciting futures and happy memories run through my head. But hey, there could be worse things keeping me awake.
Miss you all!
With love from Ghent,

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're having such a great time! I miss you and love you and can't wait for you to come home! -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for you to update so I could plug my new blog, which I will do at the end of this entry. Let me just say that, when I finally decided to be more critical, you finally decided to give me what I wanted from this blog! So dang it Alanna! I never should've gone easy on you.

    Anyways I loved this entry. I loved your confession that you haven't been that inspired, while blog writing. I loved the latest little details about your trip and your "preview" for the next part of your trip. I loved your insight into online school. And I loved your explanation for why you had the best summer you've ever had. There was so much to love (I also loved the title of this entry), that I'm really tempted to give you a perfect 10. After all, how could you top this? Then again, I am kind of angry that you waited until I was finally ready to be critical to post an entry of this calibre.

    So I'm only giving this a 9.2/10. It's still higher than I've ever rated you, but this entry is now the standard and you must find a way to top this entry! Hahahahaha! Oh, and by the by Alanna, if you want to be distracted by another blog on the internet AND hear about all the TV you'll miss this fall, allow me to plug MY just-starting blog Kenny Sage Talks TV, Yo! kennytalkstv.blogspot.com It's gonna be pretty awesome, though probably not as awesome as this blog entry. Which once again, I'm rating as 9.2/10. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete