Wednesday 7 September 2011

Exploring Some More!


We’re home in Ghent, and I am now a proud homeschooler! England was the most amazing thing, and I am so excited to go back as soon as I can. I wrote my last post from Buxton which is a quaint little town-ish place with a gorgeous park, and great architecture! We spent the night with some old family friends and Adam, Lauren and I had fun playing football (soccer) with our little friends Leon and Anna. They have accents which is the greatest thing. Our three hour trip back to catch our train in London was not as bad as I thought it would be, and dad does a great job of driving on the crazy roads over here! On our way to Buxton, we had a little bit of an issue when we had to make an emergency pull-over on the busy streets of London so that Adam could puke on someone’s driveway. It was comical. Sometimes I feel like we’re in an episode of Modern Family.

As much as I loved the UK I’m happy to be back in Ghent. It seems like every day we spend here in is a day of discovering new things. I have learnt the lesson that I can’t leave my house without my camera, because there are so many lovely things to see. We get wonderfully lost, and see so many beautiful things that I’m afraid I’ll never see again. That’s why from now on my camera is a piece of my body. Today we rented bikes which made me happier than anything! My little red bike and I are gonna have some good times and see some great things. Riding bikes gives me a feeling of independence that I’ve been lacking a bit, cause I could steer that thing who knows where and go on an adventure of my own if I ever mustered up the courage to do it.

Today was an exploring day in Ghent again, and we saw so many things I hope I can find again, ’cause everything here is just a work of holy art! We’d be completely lost and turn a corner and out of now where there would be a castle! Or a new canal! Or a waterfront cobblestone street with pink flowers in boxes! Or an abandoned alley with banners and multi-colored flags hanging between the buildings! I just love it here and wish Calgary would put a little more effort into being attractive! Riding bikes in the city seems quite easy for the locals here, but the spazzy Schwartz family proved to make biking much more complicated than it needs to be. But hey, we can’t really be the ones to blame, ‘cause all the street signs are written in Flemish. There were only a few near death experiences, and I know we’ll get the hang of things soon. We made a stop at the greatest bakery ever, but I have had come to terms with the sad fact that they don’t really do coffee here. I developed a dark need for coffee this summer, and once drank 4 cups of black coffee in one day thanks to Camp Harmattan and their steaming hot coffee on tap, and the outside influence of Gilmore Girls. So I guess it’s a good thing. Ha!

Online classes are way better than I thought they would be, and having reliable internet is a luxury I am grateful to have in our apartment now. Skype me up, friends!

1 comment:

  1. This was enjoyable enough. Though much of the enjoyment came from the image of Adam throwing up on some stranger's driveway. Haha. If Luke ever does something like that on Modern Family, than you can claim they've ripped your family off. The idea of you dealing with a coffee addiction is interesting too. Also, now that you're homeschooled, even though you have a good reason, I have no choice but to respect you less. Sorry. That's how this has to be. 8/10.

    ReplyDelete