Monday 15 August 2011

New York Groove

I have fallen in a deep passionate love with New York and I've only been here for 6 hours.
We flew into Newark and drove into town on crazy highways and under the Hudson River in rush hour traffic. It was mayhem and it was beautiful. Everything is old and make of brick, and there are vines and greenery growing up the oldest of the industrial buildings on our way into the city. It was nothing short of beautiful, and I wanted to ask to pull over and take a greasy hipster tumblr style picture every few minutes. There was graffiti and street art everywhere and I could hardly wait to get out of the car to see things and be in the city for real.

We pulled up to our little Manhatten apartment on the perfectly classic burrow street like every New York street you see in movies. It is beautiful. I'm convinced that our apartment would make a stellar bachelorette pad for me one day, but for our family of 5 we're all pretty much falling on top of each other.

We took the subway today which made me feel like a totally legit New Yorker. I'm pretty sure people would have thought I was a local if it weren't for the camera around my neck and my socks and sandals combo. Totally kiddding about the socks and sandals. Haha. We made a stop at Grand Central Station which was also awesome, it's so cool getting to see places I've seen in so many movies in real life. It all looks so different, and so much better. The same can be said for Times Square. Oh boy, Times Square. It was everything I imagined it to be except brighter, bigger and more crowded. There is a car to cab ratio of about 1:16 and it is overwhelming but awesome. I also discovered that Daniel Radcliffe is in a play this week and I have already tried stalking him. I swear that I will have  a creeper picture of him by the end of the week, no doubt in my mind. One of the many quotes of the day today was when my dad was trying to reason with me about my obsessive state over the guy who plays Harry Potter.

DAD: "Alanna, Daniel Radcliffe is just a person."
ME: "Who defeated the Dark Lord!!?!"

Anyways, in case I haven't made it clear enough I really really really like this city... Like a lot.


4 comments:

  1. You are so stoked on this. I love it. And now I really want to go to New York...

    Jesse McLean

    -- I should probably get an account so I don't have to sign my name... Kidding, I love signing my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're obviously not excited to be in New York City. Haha. This is a solid entry that describes both the city and your first experiences in the city. And unlike when Glee visited New York, I'm not waiting for you to get to the competition already. Because to the best of my knowledge, you're not in some sort of competition. Also, since you brought it up, you better get a Daniel Radcliffe creeper picture or I'll be disappointed. Good stuff. Good stuff. 7.9/10 again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will be the first of many times that I say this but-SO JEALOUS! I cannot wait to see your pictures of the city! And of Daniel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please take a stalker picture of daniel radcliffe for me! Yeah that's right! Who defeated to dark lord?! :0 lol
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete