Sunday 2 October 2011

Just Cruisin'


Well, Grandma Di and I have been sailing the Mediterranean for almost 48 hours, and so far I give the trip two thumbs way up.

After a fun ladies night in Barcelona with Mum, we boarded our ship and began to explore, purchase packages to give us discounts on cocktails, unpack like giddy kids on the first day of camp, and fancy ourselves up for dinner, where we were by far the best dressed ladies around. ;) We have a nice little table for two by the window, and dinner is perfectly timed so that we can watch the sunset. This blog update is a little bit cutting into our partying time, but Mum wanted a little bit of an update, so an update there will be.

Highlights so far: Marseilles was our first excursion on Saturday which was just about the prettiest thing ever. I like the fishing town atmosphere and all of the boats, islands and greenery in contrast with the water is gorgeous. All of the buildings were so colourful, and the church we visited was really different and pretty and not scary and intimidating like a lot of the churches I’ve seen in Europe. During our free time in Marseilles we grabbed a coffee (Lady Di was not impressed with the European size, coffee is probably one of the biggest European culture shocks) and did some shopping in the market! The best part of Marseilles was the fact that we didn’t get lost and that I don’t have to write a blog titled “Can Someone Come Pick Us Up From Costal France Because Our Boat Left Us There” It’s partially a relief because my English teacher would tell me that that’s a really sucky title.

Crew: The crew is so friendly and patient! We’ve befriended a waiter that we call Rang because we can’t pronounce his real name. He calls Grandma “Madame Dianna” and me “Little Baby Alena” partially because he can’t pronounce my name, and partially because I’m pretty sure he was trying to pick me up until I told him I was 15. He’s super great though, as is all of the staff, which must be a real talent, seeing as they’re all from poor countries, and they watch us ‘fat americans’ come and waste so much food, and ask to be waited on hand and foot. I really appreciate these people and the work they do.

Sun: I have a tan in September and I am stoked on it! Today Grandma and I spent the entire day by the pool after sleeping in, reading our books, writing, taking pictures, and soaking up some sun! (Without mentioning names I’ll say that one of us fell asleep numerous times, and the other had to poke them and tell them to stop snoring) I’m loving this sun even more after looking up the Calgary weather… Suckers. ;)

Dressing Up: Di and I do things up right and pretty much show everyone up with our classy dinner outfits. You should see the jewellery Grandma brought along… no wonder her bag weighs over the limit!!! I also successfully wore heels yesterday without any drama! I’m such a lady now!

People Watching: We watch people, and make up stories about who they are and what they’re doing. Some of my favourite people are:

-          Underage Femme Fatale:  This girl is probably 16, but when she puts on her 6 inch heels, red lipstick and tight high-waisted skirt and sneaks away from her parents (yup, I’ve seen her parents) she floats around from bar to bar flirting with men behind the counter and getting them to light her cigarettes and serve her red wine. I would like to write a song about this girl someday.

-          Fun blond with a dud of a husband: We’ve decided that this lady is the coolest person ever, with no taste in men. She is here with two men, but we don’t really know which one she’s with because neither of them show interest in the cute, well-dressed woman she is. We like watching her go to the dance floor and dance by herself until a cute old man who she doesn’t know joins her and sweeps her off her feet while the men she’s with yawn and stare at the drink specials. I hope she finds love someday.

-          Awkward lovers: This couple is strange. The girl is freakishly tall, and big boned, while her man is awkwardly short with a Billy Ray Cyrus hair cut (not the mullet, but the shaggy do that he rocks on Hannah Montana). Watching them dance is especially entertaining.

We are having a RIOT! And we can’t wait for the rest of the week! Wish us luck on our excursion tomorrow!

Xo

1 comment:

  1. This is a fine entry. I can excuse the lack of emotional depth, because obviously you want to have fun cruise adventures more than write compelling blog updates and I'm fine with that. And I guess your crew appreciation bit counts as emotional depth. "People watching" sounds stalkerish but your descriptions of random people on your cruise our funny. 7.2/10.

    ReplyDelete