Friday 14 October 2011

Goodbye to Ghent

Today was our last full day in Europe and I am so sad. As much as I know that South Africa is going to be an amazing experience, I would stay here so much longer if I could! These two months have gone by so fast, and it’s crazy to me that there is only 65 days until I’m home in the freezing cold city that for some reason, I love. This week, Ghent has proved to me just how cool it truly is, with its rad film festival, fun last minute shopping, and charming Flemish restaurants. I LOVE IT ALL. I seriously can’t wait to come back as soon as I get the chance. Ghent is the result of God and 17th century architects getting together to say “We love you Alanna, you will be happy here.” I’m so sad to leave. We spent our last day packing, making last stops at the grocery store, walking by the canals and downtown, and feeling heavy in our hearts for this city we have grown to love.
This evening we went for dinner at the home of one of dad’s colleagues which was so much fun. Maybe it’s just because I don’t have friends on this continent, but playing with his four children was a blast despite the language barrier. We figured out how to play charades and talk to them that way, and with kids communication is pretty easy. I’ve discovered that there are universal signals kids give you for “hide and seek”, “pick me up and spin me around” and “dance with me”, a signal for piggy backs is simply unnecessary when they can just jump on your back anyways. I expanded my Flemish vocabulary, which is good because before I could only say “slagroom” which means “whipping cream” an important word when ordering lattes, my friend. Now I can count to ten, say the alphabet, and play a weird take on KitKat bar all in Flemish! Their house was awesome, and they had a trampoline, a tree house, a donkey, rabbits, a cat and chickens! There is no way a kid (or mature teen like myself, for that matter) could not have fun there! It was so funny to me how we could become friends without speaking the same language, but with kids it’s easy, especially when Milton Bradley puts out a Dutch version of Twister. So great! It was a fun way to end our time here in Belgium, and we’ll look forward to hosting them in Canada someday.
 I think that I’m getting far too excited about this new relationship with these children. In that department it has been a looooooooooooooong two months. I had a similar experience when grandma and I were on our way home from Spain, and I became friends with a 9-year-old American girl who was also struggling to get a luggage cart. There was two sweet minutes where me and another English speaking girl were equally confused, and equally together. It felt just like real friendship until her Dad helped us both and then wheeled her off to their flight and out of my life forever. I was heartbroken.
I guess that’s what excites me the most about South Africa, is being able to connect with other people and kids and feel a little more at home than we did over here.  I’m also looking forward to thirty degree weather and white sand beaches!!! The tan and freckles are coming back for an encore and I’m overjoyed. It will be nice to get into a routine, and actually accomplish some schoolwork. I’m sitting pretty at an 87% in Bio which is a miracle in itself, and I’m a little bit afraid to touch school and change that. Ha! I’ve decided I want to work extra hard and be finished my classes in December so that I can have time to goof off in January and go on dates with myself while my friends are in school, and do arty, crafty things.
Anyways… wish me luck on school and coping with leaving this glorious continent that I love! I appreciate all of you who have kept up with my blog, because I love writing it! Keep me and my crazy family in your thoughts and prayers as we travel to S. Africa!
xo
Yours from the last time in Ghent,
Alanna

1 comment:

  1. I actually have fallen a bit behind on these reviews, which hasn't happened since the beginning of your trip, way back when. Anyways, this is a solid entry to close the Europe chapter of your trip. I enjoyed your musings on your connecting with children and the conclusion of your interaction with the 9-year-old American girl was comically poignant. Can't wait for your musings on life in South Africa, which are sure to be insightful. 7.5/10.

    ReplyDelete